Thursday, July 31, 2014

Online Dating

It is quite funny to me that there is still a stigma around online dating. It also seems like everyone and their mother has a profile on some dating website and yet, there is this embarrassment that surrounds it.

My logic is this: where are you going to meet people after you are done with school?
At your work? Of course not, there is sexual harassment laws for that.
At the grocery store? "Do you come here often?" Of course I do, I have to eat, don't I?
At the club? Yes, because you can find so many quality people drinking and wasting away there.
At church?  I suppose, however if you have been going to the same church for your whole life, chances are you have known everyone in that church their whole lives.

So for the young professional who finds themselves retreating online for the rest of their needs: social interaction, entertainment, shopping, etc, why not consult the internet for your potential mate?

Even if you aren't looking for a mate online, and are just looking for friends, when is the last time people met new people even though we see people that we have never seen before and will never see again everyday?

I have been seeing a guy I met online and I doubt I would have met his otherwise because even though we work ten minutes from one another, there isn't really a forum in which we could ever have encountered each other.

What about you? Are you embarrassed about having an online dating profile? If you have one, have you found success? 

No comments:

Post a Comment