Tuesday, September 13, 2011

iPhone 5 vs. EVO 4g

I have for the past 4 months gone on about the supremacy of Android over the iPhone. However, as an owner of the Evo 4g from Sprint, I have experienced a few difficulties, which I'm sure all of you have heard (the short battery life, the too-large screen, the uncomfortableness to hold in one hand, etc.). I am not saying that this phone is a bad phone, in fact, the Evo has repeatedly beat phones that try to match up with it in the CNET showdown. Nevertheless, after a year and a half of frustration, I learned that the iPhone is coming to Sprint next month. With this new information, I face a dilemma. I have spent the past few years of my life, telling people and writing here that there is no reason to get an iPhone, or that if one doesn't have one and has a Mac, it isn't necessary to switch. That I believe isn't so true anymore.

Don't mistake this as a sheep kind of thing, that just because it will become available on my carrier, I need an iPhone now. I am simply weighing my options with a new and revamped version of the phone that I have been bashing. (Maybe bashing isn't the right word for it). In any case, I have looked at the new iOS, (don't ask me how), and I have seen advances that I could possibly get behind. However, how does one go about switching?

The question that I have been asking myself is, what if the problems that I find with the force closing and the freezing, is me? What if the problem is me? I have gone through 11 phones in my eight years of cell phone using. And if the problem is me, will a shiny new phone fix all the problems?

The iPhone definitely has something to offer with the new iOS 5, however these are features that Android  has had for a while and if one was to look at this simply, why fix what really isn't broken?

What I'm really asking for is help.  

4 comments:

  1. That's an easy question to answer. Coming from a fellow evo 4g owner, keep your evo. Battery life and the phone being hard to hold in one hand (I don't have any difficulty with that, but whatever) aren't good enough reasons to ditch your phone.

    One place where the iPhone (no matter what they come out with) falls short is the inability to change your battery. I once griped about having a battery that didn't last long--that was, until I went on amazon and ordered the extended life battery, which came with a new door for my phone (since the battery sticks out a bit). Now, I charge my battery and can YouTube it and Facebook it up into the evening with half a battery life half full (going for optimism here). I bought the battery, new door and phone cover together for $16 or $17 on Amazon.

    Another place where the iPhone fails is that you can't upgrade your phone memory space. With my EVO, I upgraded from an 8G micro SD card to a 32G micro SD card that allows me more space for my music and extra storage space for phone apps. (Don't buy your 32G micro SD card from BestBuy, which has it for $85 after tax. Instead, go on eBay. I found it for as low as $15 with free shipping from China. I bought mine from BestBuy because I got impatient--the delivery from China took three weeks, but is still worth it for the fact that you save $70.)

    Plus, as you stated before, most of what the iPhone5 has Android had already. It looks like iPhone5's late to the party.

    Other things the EVO still does better than the iPhone, according to the numerous articles I've read, is notifications: I simultaneously get notifications from my gmail and hotmail accounts, FaceBook, twitter and text messages without any problems. Also, Android gives you seven home screens, which you can personalize. That's cuts back on the cluttered look of the iPhone screen, which isn't even as big as EVO's.

    Majority of Androids apps, which will eventually outnumber iPhones, are free!

    I could go on and on about the advantages of keeping your EVO, but, hey, it's Saturday.

    Anyway, I hope this "helps" you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to hear your opinion on the whole matter. I am keeping my Evo for right now, because of those reasons that you have listed. I went online and found batteries that I can replace in my phone in the middle of the day, although the back of my phone doesn't close all the way anymore. The thing that I didn't think about mentioning is that the iPhone 4s has memory up to 64GB, which actually something that I need because of my work. I understand all the implications, especially because Sprint hasn't the bandwidth to support the iPhone right now. (I beat it in a Speed test, and we were on the same network in the same room) So for right now, I'm keeping it but as soon as my iPod dies, which will be soon because of the fact that I have had it for over six years now. I will switch. Especially since my phone is giving me problems now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly don't understand what the hype is surrounding the iPhone. I just updated my brother's last night on my Mac, and what a pain in the ass. He lost all of his music that was on the phone. I love my Evo and I don't think I will ever go for the iPhone. I like having removable storage and a bigger screen. I like not having to only use iTunes when I want to add/remove things from my phone. I love my MacBook Pro, but I'm not seeing what is so great about the iPhone. I think Apple is lacking in the iPhones technology, which is just weird. This new "Siri" thing just isn't enough to make me a believer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a follow up. I also have the extended battery. It will be interesting how the iPhone.e battery holds up. My extended has lasted me 3 years.

    ReplyDelete