Sunday, June 5, 2011

Elopement

When one hears the word "elopement", they think about the extreme, they think Las Vegas. When I hear it now, all I can think about the recent elopement of two people from my church. When the pastor went up the altar/ podium and announced their union, there was a hush over the congregation. Not to get into too much detail, but here is the problem.

I am eighteen years old and the new bride is only a year older than I am. So the people around the church were drawing very negative conclusions as to why they, who still live with their perspective parents, would do such a thing.

I'm not going to make this about them, but let's talk about young marriage as a whole. People don't get married for the same reasons that they used to. There has been a trend in certain private religious universities that students will get married just to have sex because their religion says that sex can only occur in a holy union.

So I want to know what you think about marrying young and how young is too young? When you get married, what will be your reasons? 

No comments:

Post a Comment