Thursday, June 9, 2011

Book Recommendation: Sum: Forty Tales From the Afterlives

I recommend a lot of movies on here, but never any books, unless of course, the Books vs. Movies Series counts. So instead of recommending a movie to you, and I watched quite a lot of them to pick a movie that would be suitable, then changed my mind, I drove to the library which I haven't been to in a long time and picked up a few books. I went through the motions of it all, going to the fiction, checking if my favorite authors had come out with something, if they had it here in their shelves. Score with Palahniuk: his new book "Tell-All" rests in my bag as we speak, Miss with Coupland: they only had "Hey Nostradamus" and I've read that one before. Then when I had given up and was making my way up the aisle to check out, I found a little book out of place, so I picked it up to put it in its right order and then I read the title, Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives by David Eagleman, (it was with the Bs). It sounded interesting because I'm a religious studies major and the one thing that all religions have in common is that they have some theory about what happens after death. The book contains a series of short descriptive pieces called vignettes, which were about the various theories about life after death. My favorites were the pieces called : Mary, Mirrors and Search. There are a few others that I love. The best thing about this book is that it is memorable, almost addicting, last night, I couldn't put it down. Literally I had trouble with it. So much so that I was drifting off and parts of words were lost to me.

Reading it felt like I was entering a kind of new imagining. It inspired me to live my life, unafraid and trying to do all the things that matter most to me. I definitely suggest it for anyone looking for different perspective or even just looking for a good read. It's short, only about 100 or so pages, but after reading it you are going to want to carry it around with you. It is mind-expanding, and even if none of these tales are true, it's still a great thing to look at. 

No comments:

Post a Comment