Sunday, May 15, 2011

Thor : The Review

WARNING: The following post may contain spoilers that I am entirely too dumb to avoid.

So we have seen the trailers for this Summer's hottest movies and biggest blockbusters. One in particular stood out for me, though I'm not particularly a comic book nerd, just a book nerd, Thor. I watched the Nerd Alert on CollegeHumor about it, and Jeff Rubin asked the question as to whether or not Thor was the best Comic Book movie adaptation ever.  I am in no position at all to answer that, (BTW, the answer he gives is yes), but I am looking at this movie with fresh eyes and no bias as to whether the book is better, which is what ends up happening with all of the adaptations that have been ever released, ever. So I am going to review it as an action film, that's it. Before I do so though, I would like to mention one thing: Doesn't it seem like Natalie Portman is in everything this year?

Besides that let's get on with it, I went to watch Thor in 3-D; I didn't have much of a choice, but I feel it helped a little although not really all that much. The story as most of you may be aware starts out with a man called Thor on Thor's Day (Thursday), or his coronation. During his coronation, in fact, right before Odin, played wonderfully by Anthony Hopkins, pronounces him king, there is a breach of security. I won't give too much away, because a lot of what I liked was the story and the complexity of it. The graphic were phenomenal, however there were times at which it got out of focus.

As for the acting, I was not expecting much; I mean, I figured that because the main character was played by an unknown, or a not well known actor that they had picked him not for his skill but for his body shape and his look. Chris Hemsworth left me pleasantly surprised; he had the perfect range, which was needed for this role. Anthony Hopkins needs no critique because it is not possible; it is the equivalent of you typing into Google "Anthony Hopkins bad actor" and your computer shutting itself down on you.

As for Natalie Portman, I honestly think that she had too much on her plate this year because this performance was not as good as it could have been. I would have liked to see maybe someone else in the role. I enjoyed Jaimie Alexander in her role as Sif, the maiden warrior, I knew what to expect of her. I am familiar with her work as Jessi in the ABC family series Kyle XY, and I feel I got a little of that.

There aren't many things I would change; in fact the female lead, and that's it. I feel like they did a great job, now if someone wants to talk about how it compared to the comic; that's their deal. As a stand alone movie, I don't feel jipped, and I don't feel like I've wasted hours of my life that can't be returned to me.
My rating for this film is a solid 4 out of 5. Good job, Hollywood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment