Saturday, May 14, 2011

Six Best Reasons to Share a Room with Your Best Friend

I have just completed my first year of college and I don’t know if I could have made it the whole way without my friends, especially my best friend Catherine. So in her honor, I have come up with a list of the six best reasons to share a room with your best friend.

6. They know your pet peeves.
There is no actual sound coming out. 
Your best friend may have known you forever, or in my case, less than a year, but they understand you and they know the little things that piss you off, like pen clicking or repetitive tapping or not refilling the pitcher. All those little things add unneeded stress and as a student, or anyone really, you don’t want to put up with that; it can potentially make for an over stressed, over worked, crazy person. You, I mean.  

5. They care about your sanity. 

Everything seems to be in order.

Most likely, if you are friends, then you must be a bit similar, but if you aren’t, they can stop you from doing something that will literally drive you insane. For instance, I have a thing about perfection. Some may even call it a disorder, I don’t, but whatever, in particular, I have a thing about my grades. So I tend to over study and freak out and have panic attacks. The thing about sharing a room is that they tend to see that going on; if you live with your best friend, they will try to rectify that. (Unless they want to try out that whole Dead Roommate - Straight A’s rumor, in which case, run away.) They will distract you with funny Youtube Videos and try to calm you down.

4. They will take care of you.


“Erghhhh....”


You are a long way away from your mother’s famous chicken soup that made you feel better with a snap of your fingers. She is worried about you, but not enough to drive all the way down or up to wherever you are to take care of you. You’re grown; figure it out. Then comes the best friend; they are breathing your air as you cough and sneeze and groan, they are going to get sick anyway so they might as well take care of you. What that means is getting you icky soup from the cafe or making ramen in the microwave, because they know that you would do the same from them.

3. They will stand most of the stupid stuff you watch.


“Shuhhh, Glee’s on.”


As a generation, we watch some pretty crappy shows and love every minute of them. I, myself, am a proud Gleek. (In fear of getting shanked, Glee is not crappy.) In many cases, there is one TV and if they are a good friend, they will concede to your one hour a week request of reality horror or singing and dancing or bad pickup lines. During that time, they may watch in the delight of the drama as Karofsky kisses Kurt and we all find out that Karofsky is in the closet. They may not love it, but it is much easier to negotiate with a best friend than with a total stranger.

2. You’ll Never Miss Class on Accident


I'm not even in this picture. On purpose. 

I make this distinction because there is a difference between a class that is both takeable and make-able and one that is just takeable. The difference being one that takes attendance and the other that doesn’t. I have had five roommates in three semesters, which doesn’t add up, I know, but that is how that works. Anyway most of those roommates, I haven’t told my schedule or written it out to let them know. A best friend needs to know these things, so you can schedule your hangout times around your classes. The best thing about your roommate/ best friend knowing your class schedule is that they aren’t afraid to wake you up when you fall asleep on your book, praying for osmosis to have worked. A good best friend yanks you out of bed, while you are still asleep puts a toothbrush and paste in your hands and pushes you into the bathroom.

1. They Love You

Kind of.

Your best friend loves you and would never let you go insane or annoy you on purpose or let you starve while you are too weak to get out of bed and that is what makes them a good friend, a best friend. If you remember your parents were good roommates because they love you.

So those are six of the best reasons why your best friend would be a good roommate, which deviates from the original point but it still works. I hope you can share a room with your best friend; it’s a great experience and I would do it again in a heart beat.

Picture sources : laesmeraldabogota.com, macyapper.blogspot.com, latcrossword.blogspot.com, picturesof.net, boards.bengals.com, igotitall.net

3 comments:

  1. While these seem legit sometimes, it doesn't work well with every roommate. Sometimes hanging with your bestie all the time and living with her are too different things. Sometimes you need that time apart and time to just do you. Also issues that you have with your best friend from the living situation and lead to strain on the friendship. It's not that easy to address a lot of issues you have with your best friend without her taking it personally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for giving me positives to look to when it comes to rooming with a best friend. All I've been reading are negatives, negatives, and negatives with rooming w/ a BF. I've been trying hard to defend my point that maybe rooming with your best bud is a good idea, because everyone is different. Thanks again for patching up dark holes of enigmatic questions and thoughts that I had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been contemplating whether I should room with my best friend of 4 years in college. We are going in the fall and looking at this makes me want to be roomies with her. Although, I've known people to end up having bad relations with their friends at the end of their 1st year. I just don't know which way to go with it. I've found much more negatives on the matter than positives.

    ReplyDelete