Thursday, May 19, 2011

Movie Recommendation of the Week : My First Mister

"J" is looking at "R" with her
eyes on the wrong side of the binoculars.
Beginning this week, I am beginning official weekly movie recommendations; last week it was Thor, this week it is My First Mister, released in 2001, directed by Christine Lahti. Starring Leelee Sobieski, Albert Brooks, and Desmond Harrington in one of his first movie roles. 
At first I was expecting a quirky teen film; I am a big fan of Sobieski, but it started out weirdly. Even though it had a voice over beginning, which usually turns me off, I had to give it a chance, and I’m glad I did. This is one of the best movies, I have seen in a while. 
I was invested in the characters; I hope not to give too much away because I want you, whoever reads this to check it out, but I cared about her. J, played beautifully crazy by Sobieski, made me feel for her. I understood that there was an emptiness in her life. 
I loved Randall, his anal-retentiveness made for a likable character. I thought that Albert Brook did a phenomenal job of playing “R”, which is what J calls him. 
The movie gets away with witty comments and mild cussing, simply because the banter that goes on between R and J is so interesting and so humorous. 
Caution: This movie gets a little sad at the end, but it’s a good sad, so check it out. 
It gets a 4.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment