Wednesday, August 6, 2014

The One: Fact or Fiction?

A friend of mine said something last night that has stuck with me. I was telling him how I felt about this guy that I’ve been seeing and he asked me if he might be “the One”. Now it is way to early to tell or to be even thinking about that, but what shocked me was my reaction to what he said. 

I said “THAT DOESN’T EXIST”. 

I can hear the romantics dying of shock but I suppose there is a part of me deep down inside that has become disenchanted with the thought of “One”; the person that is supposed to complete you, the other half of your soul that you spend your whole life searching for. In the midst of the Nicholas Sparks and the happily ever afters of the world, it feels like all of it is just a bit of fancy, ethereal, other-worldly nonsense that Disney spits out every couple of years. 

So with that in mind, why would any of us date at all? If this is the general consensus, that the “One” is a figment of the imagination, are we all just looking for someone who we can stand being around for an extended period of time? Have we really given up on looking for the missing half of our hearts? Are we settling because we contend that the perfect one is not out there? 

You and I have seen them. The movies and shows that mock the women who choose to believe that there is just one perfect guy out there for them. They make her look a fool for believing that there is someone out there that can make her feel like she’s not alone in understanding that there should be some genteel left in the populous.  

So shall I believe in my happy ending once more? 

No comments:

Post a Comment