Thursday, June 2, 2011

Movie Recommendation of the Week : Taxi Driver

Made in 1976 and featuring a skinny Robert DeNiro. a young Jodie Foster, and a gangster Harvey Keitel, this movie confused me. Maybe it was just the DVD that I had but it just started, like an old VHS tape. No menu, no nothing. Part of me likes that because of the era that it is from and part of me feels like it is very much out of my control. This movie was recommended by that film analytics teacher that I told you doesn't like Ellen Page, for some stupid reason. Anyway, I got around to watching it last night and this morning. After the initial issue with the DVD itself, (I paused it for close to thirty minutes) it was interesting. I was disturbed, which is new for me. There were so many things that were vulgar and crude. I felt dirty watching it, but it was all very beautiful. It was odd to see DeNiro as a young man, so open and expressive and talkative,  I think that took away from the movie a little, because he talked so much that after a while I got annoyed with it. I had always known about DeNiro's "You Talkin' to Me"thing but I never knew where it was from. His language was so vulgar that sometimes it was hard to listen to. I think he felt guilty for taking a life. Harvey Keitel as a skinny pimp is odd to see. I kept thinking that the presidential candidate Palantine wasn't a very good speaker. In any case, DeNiro's character was believable, but I couldn't get into the movie.

Don't get me wrong; I didn't hate it but I didn't understand the motivation behind a lot of his acts. Until the last one. I think that it's a good movie, if you have the will to sit through a bunch of monologues and voiceovers by Robert DeNiro. I think it's a movie that people tell you to watch because of the pop culture references. My opinion, if you are watching it for the performance of Jodie Foster, I recommend it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment