Sunday, May 29, 2011

Unforeseen Circumstances


The worst part about loving someone is their unique and absolute way of hurting you. It doesn't have to be much, it can be a word or a gesture or even a look that can make you want to crumble up and die.

I take up a different approach; I get angry. I huff and puff and say things under my breath that I would never say out loud, even though I believe them and know that if I said them, it would end us. I try to stop myself but my back teeth start to grind and my throat closes up.

I know you are probably wondering what my point is and I'm getting to it. No one is ever really ready for something like that, love, high school, marriage. All of which are depicted by the media and movies and things like that, not showing the mundane hardships.

They don't tell you about the problems that occur, not because of the person you are with, but their friends, who don't respect you or don't make you feel like you can be comfortable around them. They don't tell you about the inability to say no to every and any request, and they don't tell you about the fact that hanging out with them too much makes your friends or your family think that you don't care about them anymore.

I'm in my first real relationship and I'm getting to the point where I can see all of that. I see the problems and the flaws and it's not perfect, and I know that. Maybe the best part of learning is the pain, the pain of discovering that everything that you dreamed of and everything that you think was fine doesn't feel fine anymore. And you have to work at it because that's what it takes.

Comment below and tell me what problems you didn't foresee in your relationships.



2 comments:

  1. I definitely didn't think that getting gifts would be as much as an issue as it has been, and I'm the one who makes less money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always something, but working through it and communicating makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete